Sunday, July 12, 2020


This is my mother’s wedding ring. It left her hand twice, maybe three times in the past 53 years. I held the hand that wore this ring just 23 hours ago. 

And now, the ring rests on my hand.

Mom’s been gone less than 12 hours and I miss her deeply. I love having a piece of her with me.

This ring was on her hand when she brought me into the world. And now, this ring is on my hand when I wipe the tears because she left this world.

I look at this ring and think of the amazing things the hand that held it did, and I want to continue that legacy.










I touch this ring and feel her with me. 

I’ve heard it said that the amount of grief you feel indicates the amount of love you feel. I loved my mother to my core. And now, grief has found its way there too.

But there are tender mercies that ease the pain. Tender mercies that make room for hope. Tender mercies that keep me connected to her.

Tonight I am grateful for tender, shiny mercies.

No comments:

Why Salt & Juniper?

Salt and Juniper. A strange name for a blog, right? Not really. As women who believe in Jesus, we are the salt of the earth (Matthew...

Popular Posts